Thursday, July 8, 2010

124 (Bluestone Road) - song for Toni Morrison


words and music: larry nicholson


bare feet and chamomile sap, call all your sons and daughters
kick off your shoes take off your hat, i'm a-keep you warm
this ain't no story for passing round - it's just me and black water
diamonds float and she'll bring you down into forever land

see dixie fires burning sweet home men, that's what they call "The Union"
ohio river up around the bend, it ain't no promised land
losing everything then losing more - that's what the hell we're doing
same old spite knocking at my door, the one we left behind

come out come out on bluestone road, where fireflies are dying,
mother's milk and mother's blood, a-body's misery
away away from bluestone road, somewhere a baby's crying
lay me down in the velvet woods, forever's calling me

chokecherry tree painted on my back, lips across the branches
like smoking steel on a railroad track, the echoes of a soul
the war ain't over it's just moved inside me, i've taken too may chances
i'll show the scars but you gotta remind me what the living's for

come out come out on bluestone road where fireflies are dying
mother's milk and mother's blood, a-body's misery
away away from bluestone road, somewhere a baby's crying
lay me down in the velvet woods, forever's calling me...



© 2010 Champsteen Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment